Targeting Possible Heat Stress at the Nordic Plants
2015 Project - Ongoing
Last summer (2014) was a hot summer in the Nordic countries. There where multiply complains from workers and their representatives. Some plants came up with solution or partly solutions for the heat stresss.
On the AMS General Assembly on May 6 2015, it was desisted to do a joint project on Heat Stress (HS) among all members.
The project is in two parts that run at the same time. Part 1 is gathering HS data from all AMS plant. We will use the data to make HS guideline for the Nordic plants. Part 2 is HS measurements using WBGT, the measurements will take place at Alcoa Lista, RioTinto Alcan ISAL and HA Karmøy and HA Årdal, during this summer.
The guideline will have introduction to HS (symptoms, how to act to avoid HS, impact of diseases on HS) and 1st Response/Aid. Also recommended work / rest ratio and how that rest shall be. Risk assessment tool for evaluating HS. In the appendix of the guidelines will be tools to raise awareness on HS e.g. posters and brochures. That can easily be printed and used by all. The guideline shall be finest by the end of the year.
Ideas to prevent HS
· Acclimatization takes up to 14 days (also after shorter holidays)
· Half of the days in HS tasks and the other in low HS tasks (work patterns)
· Smart rotations
· Parking vehicles in “cooler” locations
· The cool down and brake time needs to be out of the sun and heat
· Correct use of PPE, reflecting suits vs. leather suits
· Can this task wait?
· Can the take be done at a cooler time of the day?